Phil Mickelson and Rick Pitino Star In Today's Episode Of As The Sports World Turns

Golf's Golden Couple?

Now that soap operas with salacious storylines like "The Guiding Light" are finally going off the air, a void exists that needs to be filled.  I usually steer clear of rumor and innuendo, but this morning I'm going to wade into the shallow end of the speculation pool.  Just call me the Matt Drudge of the sports world.   Here goes...

Word has started to leak out on the internet about a child fathered out of wedlock by San Diego native Phil Mickelson.  Reportedly, Lefty has generously supported the child since birth and this is a well known fact on the tour.  It is so well known that a guy who is in business with a number of PGA tour players told me about it at a poker game several years ago.

Now a story has surfaced about Mickelson's wife, Amy, also having an affair.  According to this report, the man she allegedly had an encounter and/or relationship with may have been none other than perhaps the greatest basketball player who ever lived.  I have no idea if this is actually true, but apparently details are expected to materialize in the near future.

Not to be outdone, Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino is working with the FBI down in Kentucky on an apparent extortion case involving the ex-wife of the team's equipment manager.   Details of the case have been very scarce.  However, when the dust settles, don't be surprised to find out that it's Pitino's equipment that was being managed (if you catch my drift).

Evidently, there have been rumors in the South about Pitino's sexuality for quite some time.  I don't have any knowledge that these rumors are related to the FBI investigation, but I do know that  Louisville assistant coach Richard Pitino (Rick's 26-year old son) recently left the program to accept a job at the University of Florida.  This could be a matter of a kid wanting to get out from under his father's shadow, but I smell a scandal coming in the Bluegrass State.

I don't know anybody in the FBI or have any sources in Kentucky to confirm what is fact and fiction in the Pitino imbroglio.  However, a regular reader of Shawn Kemp's Kids lives a stone's throw from Lefty's new abode here in America's Finest City and he has promised to do a little digging for me.  If I find anything else out I'll be sure to pass it on...

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 5/5/2009 10:46 AM "Bogey"Man wrote:
    The "Phil and Amy" show is due for some spotlight ... the question I have for you, are you going to take that one closer look and try to confirm any of this, or are you satisfied with this post, and further, do you see it REALLY being told, if you chose not to look behind the curtain. Seems Phil will get the hall pass for a long, long, time to come. He berates Nick Faldo at the Masters, and no one hits upon it, as an example.

Will the story advance, or is this as far as it will go? Not rhetorical, but wondering if this hall pass might as well be laminated ...
    1. 5/5/2009 12:14 PM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:

I'm on the case!

The story about the child out of wedlock is absolutely true.  However, Phil must have quite a public relations team because the mainstream media has never picked up on it as far as I know.

If I'm able to get additional info on the Amy/MJ story, I certainly have no qualms about passing it on...

1. 5/5/2009 3:51 PM Anonymous wrote:
        The more Phil acts as though his .... don't stink, the more I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am impresses with the golf community keeping the family secrets private, but this story, as you say as true about the child. needs some sunshine.

It's a "money" issue too (sponsors. the tour, his personal endorsements), but let's be real, you act one way, and are another way, it's not brain surgery to figure out why his the most loathed.

Do not let this fall to the wayside, follow the story, and hopefully this will all come out and then we will see the character Phil has.

Thanks for the inital posts, looking forward to the followups.
        1. 5/5/2009 8:15 PM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:

My pleasure.  The other shoe will drop...it's just a matter of when.  I will continue to follow it...and possibly bring some additional facts to light.  In one of my favorite movies, "All The Presidents Men", the Deep Throat character said to follow the money.  Perhaps that is the path that I need to explore in this story as well...

1. 5/7/2009 5:19 PM "Bogey"Man wrote:
            Did you hear about Phil getting heckeled in the 1st round of the Players' Championship? Once everything does comes to light (and I just hope it does and you are a leader) Phil will have more than just some heckler yapping about trivial things ... wonder what the heckler said to get under his skin so much?
            1. 5/8/2009 8:29 AM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:

I did...and the comment is pretty innocuous compared to what could be said about some of the skeletons in Phil's closet.  2009 might be a very long year for Lefty...
  • 6/10/2009 9:38 AM Bogey Man wrote:
    Sorry to hear about Amy's cancer, and I wish only the best for her and her children and family. Phil will get a pass now for a very long time, which is great for his wife, and her recovery, but will Phil be himbled, or will he be more of ... a "Phil" and just expect his hall pass. Please note, just an observation on Phil, but I am nothing but sympathetic to the reality of the illness and wish nothing but the best in that.
    1. 6/10/2009 12:24 PM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:
      As am I...as far as sympathy for the entire family is concerned.  I have no doubt that humility has set in for Phil and he will be a different guy for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally, on two prior occasions (before he was a top five player) I observed Phil by himself at driving ranges in the San Diego area.  He was nothing but cordial to everyone.  Perhaps once the money and endorsements started rolling in, Lefty's head (not to mention his waistline) started to swell a bit.

• 8/2/2009 9:13 AM Bogey Man wrote:
    Phil has committed to the Bridgestone Inv. in Ohio, a state he avoids because of the child, and yet, it appears he has played Firestone often. Any word on why "yes" to Firestone and "no" to Jack's event? The mother and child can easily get to Firestone I am guessing. I think the rumor is true, but the avoiding OH all together is debunked with his continual appearence @ Firestone. Thoughts?
    1. 8/5/2009 3:12 PM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:
      Good question...don't know the answer.  I'm sure the truth will come out some day.  Almost impossible not to in the age of the internet, Twitter and TMZ.  Understandably, nobody is going to touch Phil right now with the stories about Amy & his mom.

Some day though...
  • 12/7/2009 10:49 AM Bogey Man wrote:
    With Tiger being barraged with women claiming all they can about being with Tiger, this mighgt be the time for Phil to admit he has a kid outside the marriage and let it get lost in Tiger's wake. 1) It would be out there, no more worrying and still have the side story of Amy. 2) Sadly, compared to Tiger now, it would be a yawn in the golf world.
    1. 12/7/2009 11:34 AM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:

Phil would be wise to get ahead of the story and put it out there.  Probably won't do it though...and it will eventually come back to bite him in the ass.  Now would be the perfect time to get it out in the open while Tiger grabs all the headlines.
  • 4/19/2010 10:42 AM Masters Packages wrote:
    Nothing really suprises me anymore with these guys. With Mickelson winning The Masters this year, will this become more of a fore-front news item? It seems like with Tiger being raked over the coals for the past few months that the sports media would be primed to sink their teeth into someone else. Any truth to this illegitimate child? I've heard conflicting reports.

Cheers!
    -Booker
    1. 4/23/2010 7:03 PM San Diego Sports Guy wrote:
      Definitely some truth to the rumors.  Not a matter of if, but when the truth will surface.

-Drew
  • 4/13/2011 4:59 AM zhenimsja wrote:
    Hello, comrade! I'm completely accede to your way of assessment and all of joined.
  • 4/17/2011 7:10 PM Beremennie_rqip wrote:
    Good post! thank you
  • 4/18/2011 7:26 PM chineeze wrote:
  • 4/19/2011 3:15 AM proosseArrils wrote:
    В ЖЖ за такой пост какашками закидают.
  • 4/22/2011 3:14 AM autonoleggio aeroporto wrote:
    Hi, The topic that you have discussed in the post is really amazing, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information.
  • 4/22/2011 3:08 PM Kaeden wrote:
    Glad I've filnaly found something I agree with!
  • 4/22/2011 5:31 PM bxmnxssrjvx wrote:
    rMJmv9 iybrhvgbkybr
  • 4/27/2011 7:35 PM HeibeCrizheby wrote:
    Hi!
    There are a few questions on your site.
    How can I contact the administration?
  • 4/28/2011 12:37 PM sigarety wrote:
    All the fun is done
  • 4/29/2011 11:36 AM znakomstva wrote:
    Your site is interesting, putting the site to your favorites.
  • 5/5/2011 10:53 AM soin wrote:
    Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post. soin.
  • 5/5/2011 8:12 PM ianajh wrote:
    life insurence hflrd online auto insurance qtrt car insurance quotes fwdzf
  • 5/7/2011 3:12 PM goldfishka wrote:
    I must admit, the webmaster of transcripts nakropal.
  • 5/9/2011 5:14 AM xhezmie wrote:
    insurance auto auctions =-( short term health insurance 504 affordable car insurance 5692
  • 5/9/2011 8:07 AM jardhell wrote:
    slots for fun 018 flight cheap 6523
  • 5/28/2011 12:43 AM zhenskayaobuv wrote:
    I never thought about that. Tell mom, she did not believe it!
  • 6/15/2011 5:35 AM Yacht Charter Greece wrote:
    Hi,like this post. Keep going on.Please add some more information.
  • 6/19/2011 8:53 AM layellisp wrote:
    Really nice read thanks, I have added this to my bookmarks Diary
  • 6/23/2011 4:33 PM sexy wrote:
    Super Site
  • 6/30/2011 12:37 AM HeibeCrizheby wrote:
    Hi!
    I would like to offer mutually beneficial cooperation on alternative energy sources.
    What advertising can you offer? Let's think about the environment!
  • 6/30/2011 6:45 PM Morse18Angelica wrote:
    Houses are quite expensive and not everybody is able to buy it. But, loan are created to aid different people in such kind of hard situations.
  • 9/14/2011 9:43 PM teresa wrote:
    did he father a son placed for adoption in 1988/1989 who was raised by adoptive parents in MN? If he did - hopefully he has made contact with this young man who is extremely athletic, ambidextrous and lookes identical to Phil. It is a shame anyone would allow their concern for public image rob them of a chance to know their child.